Accused Killer in Auburn Triple Murder Apologizes
22-year old Desmonte Leonard, who is charged with shooting six people in Auburn and killing three of them has issued an apology.
Auburn Police Chief Tommy Dawson tells CBS 8 news, Leonard said "I'm sorry" and wanted that message sent to Auburn residents. Chief Dawson says Leonard didn't indicate if he was actually apologizing for the triple murder he is charged with.
Leonard will make a first appearace in a Lee County courtroom Thursday morning. It will not be the first time he's appeared before a judge. In 2008, Leonard was arrested for allegedly stealing a 2001 Yukon, and not having a license for the pistol he was allegedely carrying at the time. In 2009, he was charged with assault in connection with allegedley shooting a man in Montgomery. Victims in both cases backed out before the the case made it to trial, according to Montgomery prosecutors.
Leonard surrendered to US Marshal's Tuesday evening at the Federal Courthouse in Montgomery after running from authorities since Saturday. He reached out to Montgomery attorney Susan James earlier in the day asking for help on how to turn himself in. James said she picked Leonard up 50 miles away from Montgomery and walked with him inside the courthouse. James told reporters she did not represent Leonard but wanted to help put an end to the ongoing manhunt.
CBS 8 news has learned after court Thursday, Leonard will be brought back to the Montgomery County Detention Facility. Chief Dawson would not say why he would not stay in Lee County, but he said Leonard will be placed away from general population under tight security for his protection.