The Butler County Commission updates the community on the status of the Alabama Transportation Rehabilitation and Improvement Program which is putting more than 1.2 billion dollars into roads statewide.
15 major road projects are in the works for Butler County and Greenville, and two have already been completed thanks to more than 10 million dollars in funding from the ATRIP program. But because these projects are funded on a federal level, only major connector roads meet the requirements for repair.
The Butler County Engineer says more than 90 miles of road and one bridge will receive a facelift because of the Alabama Transportation Rehabilitation and Improvement Program.
Chae Brown, a local business owner hopes it will boost the economy, “Anything that helps elevate our image, so if it's fixed and newer looking, in retail image is huge.”
County Commission Chairman, Frank Hickman says this is nearly 20 times the amount of money that the county receives from the goverment in a year, “This is kind of a one time payment of a sum of money to allow us to give immediate benefits to the citizens through road improvements.”
Ethel Scott has lived in Greenville for 50 years on a dirt road in Butler County. She says she wishes some of the grant money could fix her road, “We have had good commissioners which have did what they could do, but they could only go so far.”
The County Engineer, Dennis McCall, says that major connector roads make up only 30 percent of roadways in Butler County. That leaves the other 70 percent to local funding for repair. He says the money that would have been spent on major collector road repair without the grant, will now be available to fund minor collector road repair.
“It will free up some of the money that we would spend on maintainence of those roads that can be used towards minor collectors, so it will in essence have an effect with the minor collector system,” says Dennis.
13 more major connector road renovations are expected to be completed in the next three to five years.
The Butler County Commission also says the statewide ATRIP program is expected to generate more than 15,000 jobs.