Cuban hurdler abandons team after Russia worlds

Tools

HAVANA (AP) — The Cuban track and field federation says hurdler Orlando Ortega has not returned to the country after competing in the world championships in Russia last week.

The federation said in a statement Wednesday that Ortega "abandoned" the Cuban delegation that competed in Moscow.

The 22-year-old Ortega did not make it past the first qualifying race in the 110 hurdles in Russia, finishing sixth in his heat with a time of 13.69 seconds.

Considered one of Cuba's best hurdlers since Dayron Robles, Ortega was sixth at the 2012 London Olympics and had the third-best time of the season heading into Moscow.

Ortega ran in the worlds after the Cuban federation dismissed a six-month discipline ban handed to him for refusing to compete in an event in Moscow in June.

What's Trending



This content requires the latest Adobe Flash Player and a browser with JavaScript enabled. Click here for a free download of the latest Adobe Flash Player.

What's onFull Schedule

Hot Video From AP

AP Video