Former Kilby Prison officer sentenced in contraband case
MONTGOMERY, Ala. (WAKA) – The Alabama Department of Corrections has announced the sentencing of a former officer for his role in a contraband investigation at Kilby Correctional Facility in Montgomery County.
Today, Mario Grant received a 10-year split sentence, ADOC said. He will serve two years in prison followed by three years of supervised probation. He was taken into custody today and will
be transferred to the custody of the ADOC.
Grant’s wife, Carol Grant, was previously sentenced on August 6 to a 48-month suspended sentence and 36 months of supervised probation for her involvement in the case.
ADOC says the investigation began on August 21, 2023, when K-9 officers conducted a contraband search at Kilby. During the search, inmate Jeffery Frank was found in possession of approximately 27.4 grams of methamphetamine, 10.7 grams of marijuana, and a cell phone, ADOC says. Evidence indicated that Frank had paid Mario Grant to introduce contraband at Kilby, according to ADOC.
Investigators say they determined that payments were made to Carol Grant and she transferred the payments to her husband. The investigation ultimately resulted in the arrest of Mario and Carol Grant on February 26, 2024.
As part of Mario Grant’s plea agreement, the charge of promoting prison contraband was dropped. The criminal case involving inmate Frank remains pending.




